Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fear of noises, darkness and that one shadow in the kitchen^_^

When I was younger, during my elementary and middle school years, I was afraid of all the sounds made when trying to fall asleep, the darkness, and a particular shadow I saw one morning when I was eating breakfast. I remember hearing lots of creaks and taps in the walls or on the ceiling that sounded ironically strange when I went to bed. It would cease my ability to fall asleep for many minutes that felt like hours. One time I slept over at my step-cousin’s town house, and I kept on hearing these tapping noises in the walls. The room we were sleeping in had a window that created weird shadows and heat ceased to exist. At first, I was pooping myself because the daylights were literally scared out of me, but after awhile it started to get annoying. So, as a way to cope with the continuing sounds, I decided to think about happy moments in life. If my step-cousin, Cinjin, was awake, we would make a list of all the hottest babes we knew. I found that way of coping much more appealing, but Cinjin tended to fall asleep fast so I had to resort to the alternate solution, thinking about happy times. I believe that might be one of the key reasons I slept in my mom and dad’s room for awhile because their conversations and deep snores kept me relaxed and not worrying about having to figure out what the random sounds were. Then, there was the darkness that consumed my ability to fall asleep. There is this one quote that I will never forget from a show called “Supernatural”. One of the main characters said, “You should always be afraid of the dark because you never know what is out there.” It’s true because the darkness definitely forced me to use my camp snoopy night light until I was about 8 years old. Sometimes when I was sleeping, I would see shadows or imaginary figures in the darkness of my room. Finally, the shadow that I saw one morning when I was eating breakfast was definitely one of the scariest moments in my life. It was an early Monday morning and I was eating breakfast before I left for the bus stop. It was pretty dark outside, due to the long winter nights, so I had a set of lights on when I was eating my breakfast. I was sitting near the edge of my dinner table when I saw a swift shadow movement from my right. I nearly fell out of my chair and dropped my breakfast onto myself. With wide open eyes and a fast heartbeat I broke out in laughter because I thought in my head, “It’s a freaking Monday morning!” Then, after school I told my sister, Christina, and my mom about the whole situation. My sister laughed at me and said I was hilarious, but my mom had a reasonable explanation. She said, “It was probably just you’re shadow when you were getting up.” For a second I didn’t think that could be true because my peripherals usually don’t lie, but I thought about it for a good two to three minutes and I chuckled again. In comparison, I think my fears have significant similarities with the boys’ fears in William Golding’s novel, Lord of the Flies, because their fears involve a lot of mentality. Mentality can definitely affect a person’s fears and change their thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I know old houses tend to creak alot. And dont worry about having to use a night light until 8 years old; i still use one! Haha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah houses creak a lot even new ones and it gets really scary when it wakes you up at like 1 in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can sure relate to that one James. I hated my grandma's house whenever i had to sleep there, so many weird noises in the night. Good job on the Blog keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh. You just reminded me of a creepy room in my grandmother and grandfather's old house. No one used it - except Christmas, when there were so many people staying there. Two of my cousins and I would get stuck in that room, and there was a little door (insert Coraline allusion here) that was perhaps a connection to another world/dimension/etc. Scary stuff! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete